The Perfect Beard: Beard Growing & Grooming Tips
Beards have gone in and out of style for centuries. The current trendiness of beards has been around for a few years but doesn’t show any sign of going away anytime soon. With the facial hair care industry exploding, there’s no denying that a healthy-looking, properly-groomed beard looks cool.
However, if you don’t invest some time in beard grooming, you’ll soon look like Tom Hanks in Castaway – and that’s not the look you want. The key to beard care is to strike a balance between perfectly manicured and totally wild. These beard growing tips and beard grooming tips will give you your best facial hair yet!
Beard Growing Tips
- Eat the right diet. If you’re not getting enough protein in your diet, you may experience beard thinning. The amino acids found in proteins are also the building blocks of hair strands. Eating a healthy hair diet will help to prevent thinning.
- Take supplements. To fill in any gaps in your diet, try a supplement designed specifically to improve hair growth and thickness. We recommend Viviscal, which contains biotin and other vitamins that improve hair health.
- Let it grow in. Allow hair to get to about an inch and half before you start to trim it, even if you plan to keep your beard closely cropped to your face.
- Know when to let it go. Not all men can grow a beard. It’s just based on genetics, and if your face is still patchy after two months, it’s time to move on.
Beard Grooming Tips
- Shave in the shower. The hot water and steam of the shower will open your pores and prevent ingrown hairs. Just purchase a steam-free shower mirror with suction cups to stick to your shower wall so you can see what you’re doing. We don’t recommend blind shaving!
- Always use a clean, sharp razor for the closest shave possible. A dull razor will cause nicks and razor burn.
- Always use shaving cream. It may be more economical to use just soap and water, but investing a shaving cream will guarantee a closer, smoother shave.
- Take your time. The best way to avoid nicks is to simply take your time when you shave. Always shave “with the grain” to avoid razor burn and ingrown hairs.
- Cool down. When you’re done shaving, rinse your face with cold water to reduce redness and inflammation.
- Don’t skip aftershave! Shaving dehydrates the more delicate skin of your face, and aftershave restores the moisture that’s been lost.
- To maintain a clean-looking beard, it’s important to shave your neck and cheeks to clean up any stray hairs. Just make sure to not go up too high on the neck. If you shave all the way to just under your jaw, it can create the illusion of a double chin.
- Use a beard trimmer to create the perfect fade. Regular trims are also key to removing split ends. Yes, beards get split ends too! Experts recommend using beard scissors and a comb, since it’s easy to trim off too much when using a beard trimmer.
- Keep it clean. Beards are a magnet for food, dirt, and other debris. Make sure to scrub your facial hair a few times a week with a beard cleanser to prevent breakouts. After washing, pat dry with a towel to prevent frizziness.
- For softer facial hair, invest in a beard conditioner. This can be applied to your beard in the shower and rinsed out like a regular hair conditioner. A beard conditioner is specially formulated for coarse facial hair, and will provide you with results that regular hair conditioner just won’t accomplish.
Get the Perfect Beard
Is your beard coming in a little patchy? Sometimes it’s better to fake it until you make it with Toppik Hair Building Fibers! Hair Building Fibers work just as well on your beard as your hair to instantly create the appearance of a fuller growth pattern. Fill in sparse areas in 3 simple steps:
Many men find that their beards grow in a few different shades. If this is the case for you, match your fibers to the darkest part of your beard.
Do you have any secrets for growing and maintaining facial hair? Let us know in the comments!
Stay In the Know
If you want to be the first to know about new posts on the Toppik Blog, sign up for the Toppik VIP list to receive an email a couple times per month or check us out on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, or Pinterest!
Pingback : Why Beards Turn Gray First - Toppik Blog
i love how the lady gives tips on grooming a beard 🙂
After the fibers are applied can the hair be finished styling, or cannot you move the hair at all? Can the hair with fibers be combed or styled?
It’s best to comb and brush hair before applying Toppik Hair Building Fibers. After applying, Toppik Fibers generally stay in place, resisting rain, wind, perspiration, until you simply wash them out with shampoo. For extra hold, follow application with Toppik FiberHold Spray to increase the magnetic cling between fibers and hair strands.
Pingback : Top Beard Styles for Men