Rice Water for Hair Growth: Does It Work?
The internet is abuzz with the benefits of rice water for hair growth. But does it work? Keep reading to learn all about rice water for hair growth. Plus, we’ll tell you how to boost your hair’s volume and shine without raiding your pantry.
What is Rice Water for Hair Growth?
Many social media influencers have revealed that the secret to their long, lustrous hair is a simple rice water rinse. While this DIY hair care technique is currently trending, it’s actually an ancient practice with roots in Japan.
The concept behind the practice is pretty simple. Rice is packed with hair-loving nutrients like amino acids, vitamins, antioxidants, and trace minerals (like zinc and magnesium). When soaked in water, the water absorbs these nutrients, which can then be transferred to the hair.
Rice Water for Hair Growth Results
So, does rice water for hair growth work? One study showed that inositol, a compound found in rice water, was able to repair damaged hair and protect the hair from future damage. This may encourage the appearance of hair growth by diminishing breakage.
It’s also thought that rice water may encourage scalp health and reduce scalp irritation, which can create an ideal environment for regular hair growth.
The rice’s starch content also coats hair strands, creating the appearance of thicker-looking hair. The starch may also smooth frizz and lend hair extra body and shine.
Rice Water for Hair Growth Recipe
Want to try rice water for hair growth at home? Here’s what to do:
- Rinse uncooked rice in cool water, then drain. Any type of organic rice will do.
- Add the rice to a bowl with 1 ½ cups of water. Allow the mixture to sit for 12 to 24 hours so that the water to absorb the nutrients from the rice.
- Strain the rice, saving the water. Pour the rice water into a spray bottle. Hint: you can still use the soaked rice for cooking!
- Wash your hair with shampoo, then rinse with water.
- Apply the rice water to your hair and scalp with a spray bottle, thoroughly saturating your hair. Let the rice water sit on your hair for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with cool water and style as usual.
If you don’t use the full bottle of rice water, save it! Rice water can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. If you do not want to use rice water as a rinse, you can also blend it with your current shampoo or conditioner.
Side Effects of Rice Water on Hair
Rice water can imbue your hair with much-needed nutrients, plus give hair extra shine and body. However, be careful not to overdo it! Since rice water has a high protein content, it can dry out your hair when used too often. This side effect is especially apparent for those with hair prone to dryness.
For best results, apply rice water for hair growth no more than two times per week. If your hair feels dry, use a conditioner before applying the rice water treatment.
Have you ever tried rice water for hair growth? What were your results? Share your experience with other readers in the comment section below!