Hair Tinsel: How to Try This Fun Holiday Trend
Ready for a unique holiday hair look? Try hair tinsel! These sparkly hair strands are sure to make an impression at your next holiday event. Keep reading to learn how to put in hair tinsel yourself.
What is Hair Tinsel?
Hair tinsel, also known as fairy hair or glitter hair, is a hairstyle where sparkly metallic streamers are attached to the hair. You can wear a little hair tinsel for a small amount of sparkle or a lot for a big wow factor.
Hair tinsel is available in a wide variety of colors. Choose a rainbow assortment of shades for a wild look or a color that complements your hair color for a more subtle look. For example, blonde hair looks beautiful with gold tinsel while black hair looks wonderful with dark blue shades.
Because hair tinsel is typically straight, this hairstyle works best with straight or wavy hair. Hair should also be at least two inches in length to make the application process easier.
Where to Get Hair Tinsel
You can purchase hair tinsel from online retailers or beauty supply stores. You’ll need a few other supplies to apply hair tinsel, including:
- A detangling brush
- A rat-tail comb
- Hair clips
How to Put in Hair Tinsel Yourself
A word of warning: hair tinsel installation is best performed by a professional. While the process is rather simple, it may be frustrating to apply the hair tinsel using a mirror. But if you cannot visit a professional for whatever reason, follow these simples steps to apply hair tinsel:
- Start with clean, dry hair. Brush through hair to remove any tangles.
- Using a rat-tail comb, separate the hair strands where you want to apply tinsel. If necessary, use hair clips to hold the rest of your hair out of the way while you work.
- Create a slip knot on the tinsel extension. Thread a few strands of hair through the loop and tighten near the root of the hair strands. If you have fine hair, plan to use three to five strands for each tinsel extension. For thick hair, you can use one or two strands for each extension.
- Continue this process with as many tinsel extensions as you like! Then use the scissors to trim the extensions so they are the same length as your hair.
Tips for Applying Hair Tinsel
- If your hair is slippery and the tinsel keeps slipping down the strands, apply a little bit of dry shampoo or hairspray to your roots. This will add “grit” to your strands, making it easier for the tinsel extensions to stay in your hair.
- Check your hair tinsel packaging for its heat resistance. Some brands are more heat resistant than others. Make sure to use a low heat setting on your hot tools to avoid melting the tinsel and damaging your hair. Or use heatless curling methods to style your hair.
- If you want to keep your hair tinsel in as long as possible, add a small amount of eyelash glue to the knot.
- Use Toppik Hair Building Fibers to finish your look. Hair tinsel draws more attention to your locks, so disguising any scalp show-through with some Hair Fibers can help create a more polished final look.
How to Remove Hair Tinsel
Using the application method above, the hair tinsel should stay in your hair until the hair the tinsel is attached to sheds. This means that hair tinsel will last for up to six weeks. But if you want to get rid of hair tinsel before it falls out, just use scissors to cut out the extensions.
Will you try hair tinsel? Have you ever tried this trend? Let us know in the comment section!